Lewis Hamilton continued his form from the first Free Practice session to remain fastest in the afternoon.
It was a dry start to the session but with the threat of rain in the air drivers wasted no time in getting out on track to get some running in. There were a couple of yellow flags early on in the session as drivers including Kimi Raikkonen and Pastor Maldonado got things wrong. A number of drivers had a spell at the top of the times as the lap-times fell, including Sebastian Vettel, Carlos Sainz, Nico Rosberg and Hamilton.
The session was red flagged after just 15 minutes when Roberto Merhi lost it on the brakes coming out of the tunnel, a fate which has befallen a number of drivers in the past. He made contact with the barrier, losing his front wing and leaving debris strewn across the track. The session was quickly given the green flag but as the rain started to fall there was limited running in the remaining 50 minutes. Maldonado ventured out on the brand new super soft tyres but didn’t complete a lap due to the deteriorating conditions.
There was a lengthy period of no cars on track before Fernando Alonso headed out with ten minutes to go. He was joined by Daniel Ricciardo, Daniil Kvyat, as well as the Williams duo of Valtteri Bottas and Felipe Massa. Due to the wet nature of the track times were quite a bit off times set in the dry. Marcus Ericsson did not get out for any running due to a mechanical issue.
Free Practice 2 times:
- Lewis Hamilton – 1:17.192 – 12 laps
- Nico Rosberg – 1:17.932 – 16 laps
- Sebastian Vettel – 1:18.295 – 14 laps
- Kimi Raikkonen – 1:18.543 – 15 laps
- Daniil Kvyat – 1:19.548 – 16 laps
- Carlos Sainz – 1:18.659 – 14 laps
- Max Verstappen – 1:18.782 – 12 laps
- Fernando Alonso – 1:18.906 – 18 laps
- Nico Hulkenberg – 1:19.151 – 13 laps
- Romain Grosjean – 1:19.266 – 13 laps
- Sergio Perez – 1:19.300 – 13 laps
- Felipe Massa – 1:19.560 – 15 laps
- Valtteri Bottas – 1:19.566 – 14 laps
- Pastor Maldonado – 1:19.577 – 13 laps
- Jenson Button – 1:19.606 – 14 laps
- Daniel Ricciardo – 1:19.639 – 13 laps
- Felipe Nasr – 1:20.263 – 10 laps
- Roberto Merhi – 1:22.017 – 9 laps
- Will Stevens – 1:22,943 – 13 laps