Lewis Hamilton went fastest again in Canada, having already topped the times in the first free practice session.
This time he was ahead of the Ferrari duo of Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen. The session was curtailed, however, by the rain. With the threat of rain hanging over the session drivers wasted no time in getting out on track to complete laps on the super-soft tyres.
Vettel set the initial pace before eventually being knocked off the top spot by Hamilton, who struggled on his first super-soft tyre run. When it looked like he was on a fast lap – with two purple sectors – he got the final chicane all wrong and narrowly bounced over the kerbs. Elsewhere Nico Hulkenberg was forced to limp back to the pits with a puncture, reporting to his team that he had not hit anything on the track. Pirelli later reported it as a ‘rim problem’. After Daniil Kvyat struggled with the rear of the car in FP1, Daniel Ricciardo reported that his car was more responsive but a bit aggressive at the rear.
About half an hour into the session the rain started to fall and it turned out to be heavy. All drivers retreated to the pit-lane before the Mercedes duo lined up to go out again on intermediate tyres. That run did not last long as Hamilton aquaplaned at the hairpin and made contact with the tyre barriers, damaging his front wing. Nico Rosberg returned to the pit-lane and that proved to be the end of running for the afternoon. The forecasts for Saturday and Sunday look dry meaning there would be nothing to gain from going out in difficult conditions with the risk of damaging the car, as proven by Hamilton.
Free Practice 2 Results:
- Lewis Hamilton – 1:15.988 – 22 laps
- Sebastian Vettel – 1:16.304 – 19 laps
- Kimi Raikkonen – 1:16.310 – 20 laps
- Nico Rosberg – 1:16.440 – 22 laps
- Pastor Maldonado – 1:16.600 – 15 laps
- Valtteri Bottas – 1:16.849 – 18 laps
- Romain Grosjean – 1:16.864 – 15 laps
- Felipe Massa – 1:17.041 – 19 laps
- Daniil Kvyat – 1:17.092 – 10 laps
- Daniel Ricciardo – 1:17.111 – 16 laps
- Nico Hulkenberg – 1:17.120 – 15 laps
- Marcus Ericsson – 1:17.261 – 17 laps
- Carlos Sainz – 1:17.318 – 23 laps
- Sergio Perez – 1:17.367 – 20 laps
- Fernando Alonso – 1:17.627 – 21 laps
- Max Verstappen – 1:17.657 – 23 laps
- Felipe Nasr – 1:17.751 – 21 laps
- Jenson Button – 1:18.135 – 20 laps
- Roberto Merhi – 1:19.531 – 15 laps
- Will Stevens – 1:19.734 – 13 laps