This year’s Armoy Road Races will take place on Friday 24th and Saturday 25th of July this year.
At the launch for this year’s event riders including Ryan Farquhar, William Dunlop and Guy Martin were confirmed for the seventh holding of the popular race meeting. Others going to be in attendance include Jeremy McWilliams, Paul Robinson, Sam Dunlop and Darren James. Last year Martin took his first wins at the event and wrapped up Man of the Meeting but was beaten by Michael Dunlop in the Race of Legends itself. Dunlop is as yet unconfirmed for the event, having picked up injuries at the Isle of Man TT.
“The Club and I are really delighted with the news that SGS International/Manx Gas Team with Ryan Farquhar, Jeremy McWilliams and Darren James are entering the Supertwins race,” Clerk of the Course Bill Kennedy MBE said. “There will be other riders and they may enter other races for that matter but we’ve just got to wait and see in the coming days. It’s also fantastic news that the Tyco BMW team will be racing at Armoy. Guy Martin and William Dunlop are no strangers to Armoy with Guy the Man of the Meeting last year and top spot in the Supersport 2 and the Superbike races. I’ve also been reliably told that another Armoy favourite Keith Amor is aiming to be fit and he’ll be at Armoy – so we wish him a very speedy recovery.” Amor was one of a number of riders who sustained injuries at the TT. “The return of Martin, McWilliams, Dunlop and Farquhar is testament to the Club and the exceptional races that we put on as a team,” Kennedy concluded.
“Last year I was at Armoy but I was flat out preparing bikes,” Farquhar said at the launch. “2015 is going to be a lot different – not only will I be racing in the Supertwins but so will Jeremy McWilliams and Darren James, one of Canada’s top professional motorcycle road racers who will be racing as a newcomer. Folks will have seen a glimpse of him at the North West 200 earlier this year but I’ll wait and see how he gets on at Armoy. Jeremy was keen to return and race this year at Armoy – after his win at the NW200 there was no question he wasn’t going to race in the Supertwins”. McWilliams holds the current lap record for the Supertwins race after a hard fought battle with then team-mate Jamie Hamilton in 2013.
The action will take place over two days – Friday and Saturday – with 12 races set to feature:
- Supersport 1 (sponsored by First4printing)
- Moto 3/125GP (sponsored by Molly’s Bar and Restaurant)
- Junior Support (sponsored by Armoy Homes & The Mermaid Club)
- 250cc (sponsored James W Hickinson & Co and Solitude Motors)
- Senior Support (sponsored by Park Electrical Services & The Armoy Construction Co)
- Senior Classic (sponsored by Ballycastle Credit Union)
- Open (sponsored by Torquetronix)
- Supertwins (sponsored by IJ Lynn & Sons and McAuley Car Dismantlers)
- Junior Classic (sponsored by Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club)
- Supersport 2 (sponsored by the Bayview Hotel)
- 400cc (sponsored by Diamond Bar)
- Race of Legends (sponsored by SGS International)